Sunday, November 12, 2006

Reviewing a book proposal

Hard on the heels of the visit of Fran Ford from Butterworth-Heinemann/ Elsevier last Wednesday (8th), I received an invitation to review a book proposal (!), this time from Sage, and this time referring to an introductory Sociology text.

I must say I quite enjoy reviewing proposals. It is interesting to see how other people are tackling the problems of writing in your areas, and where things are going generally.I do think it important not to abuse the privilege though. Personally, I always try to:

1. Offer constructive commentary and make realistic suggestions for change (if any). If you disagree root and branch with the topic, approach or the style or anything else, and have strong personal views, I think you should decline to review (and say why, of course)
2. Offer specific suggestions and alternatives etc ( e.g. 'why not include Aitchison's latest?') rather than sweeping comments about the need to embrace far more Queer post-structuralist commentary (or whatever).
3. Not claim to be God. I've been in the game for a long time but I still don't think anyone really knows precisely how to teach, write books,manage to keep to a suitable 'standard' while not alienating beginners, write about what is really essential and not what is currently fashionable and so on. I don't think it useful to claim you know what 'students' want or are thinking, let alone what 'the profession' or 'the subject' require.
4. Write my comments as an honest dialogue with the author, as a 'critical friend' (both words are important) -- and tick the box that says it is OK to let them know my name.

In case this makes me sound like a saint, I should add that I have been on the receiving end of reviews that do not follow these guidelines and which are just nasty. It can be very discouraging and demoralising and can seem designed just to crush someone, as if they need to be slapped down for daring to apply to join the privileged club of published writers. There is a lot of that still about, I fear.

There are questionnaires which structure a reviewer's comments. I am going to store them electronically somewhere as soon as I have time and put a link from here.
Dave Harris

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?