Thursday, May 21, 2009

QAA conference, 12th May

As part of my onerous duties, I had to attend a conference run by The Quality in London. I am not a quality person, and I felt deliciously anomic, but I picked up some tips about the key documents used by QAA to guide their institutional audits. They include an interesting FHEQ (everything is acronyms in Quality Land) -- a Framework for Higher Education Qualifications, which defines what counts as a PhD as opposed to a Masters degree etc. We also had some practical tips for getting through an institutional audit.
Every bit as useful was the chat I had with colleagues from big active unis on how they had managed to get research going and growing. Huddersfield especially seemed very successful.
I also got some advice on things like which open repository software to consider (a database that we could use to publish our research outputs). The main choice seems to be something called EPrints,although there is also some kit called IntraLibrary. I use the OU's one quite a lot and the sooner we get one the better.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?